Friday, May 30, 2014

Chur Burger: where the burgers are chur, bro

It's taken me this long to get to Chur Burger in Surry Hills. I suppose I'm not that much of a burger person, but perhaps there was some underlying emotion for chef and restaurateur Warren Turnbull's former fine dining space that has held me back.

That said, the small space works well as a burger bar with low round tables, high communal tables and window bench seats offering the queue of diners a range of options, as well as takeaway, for burger scoffing action.

Beef burger from Chur Burger, Albion Street, Surry Hills
The classic beef burger has to be the benchmark for any burger. Chur Burger's version features a thick, medium-rare pink beef pattie with melted cheese in a grilled brioche bun. Well-considered condiments are a house tomato jam, thin-sliced pickles and a mustard mayonnaise, upping the richness.

While I probably could do without the mayonnaise (and brioche tends to overwhelm me), the beef burger gets a tick for its comfort-food flavours, juicy and tasty beef pattie, and overall size - more than sufficient for me.

Fish burger
I've got a thing for fish burgers so it had to be the crumbed (and unnamed) fish burger as well, served in the same buns with a cabbage slaw, pickled cucumber ribbons and a lemon mayonnaise.

With great flavours on paper, I found golden crumbed fish burger a little dry despite the oozy mayonnaise and slaw, and no competition to the beef burger.

Sweet potato fries
To our lunch burger order we added a salted caramel milkshake - which seem to be amazing anywhere I have them - and chunky, skin-on sweet potato fries served with salt but no additional condiments. With a mix of crisp and soggy ones, the sweet potato fries went sadly unfinished between two and two burgers.

Having finally visited the original Chur Burger, I can say it's definitely a place I would return to for a quick and casual burger fix, and after a taste of the beef burger, I may have to become a burger person. It's pretty chur, bro.

Chur Burger on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Vivian - vxdollface said...

I absolutely adore Chur! Love burgers and their burgers are damn good :D

Padaek said...

I'm not a huge burger fan either but the ones at Chur look irresistibly good! :D

Tina said...

Hi Viv - The concept seems to be completely on the mark - and yummy, of course.

Hi Padaek - They certainly have the looks, don't they?

Down To Feed [DTF] said...

churr bruh :) love the beef burger at chur.. and the sweet potato fries are awesome too :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...